The Mission of the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) is to serve Colorado with the finest in law enforcement services that include, but are not limited to:
1. Establishing and maintaining statewide law enforcement telecommunications system;
2. Processing criminal and civil identification files and records;
3. Operating the statewide uniform crime reporting system;
4. Supporting a computerized data base for law enforcement information sharing;
5. Maintaining sex offender registrations;
6. Providing scientific laboratory services;
7. Forensic crime scene investigations;
8. Criminal investigations including fugitive apprehension;
9. Gaming investigations.
10. The investigation of organized crime.
11. Compiling and distributing a list of missing children.
12. Conducting instant background checks on the transfer of firearms.